Tuesday, November 3, 2009

D&D Mapping tools for the Mac

It turns out that OmniGraffle is a sufficient tool for doing maps on the Mac.

You can do it the easy way, scanning or otherwise acquiring an image of the underlying map - like I did here:
Winterhaven Environs.png


where I took the map from the Cormyr article from Dragon, cut the appropriate area out, converted it to B&W and added it as a background to OmniGraffle. Make it transparent so that a grid shows and draw my additions on top.

The other way to do it is to actually draw the terrain from scratch, which is possible and probably not much harder than any other tool. Certainly good enough for the sort of topographical maps I want to do, and I'm sure you could do pretty fancy stuff if you actually had graphic talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment